Monday, November 28, 2011

A Home Away From Home


After many long weeks and numerous stomachaches, I FINALLY found my go to station at the DUC, the stir-fry station. Despite the long line that usually forms along side the pizza station for customized stir fries, I never mind the wait since I know that it is one of the only options in the DUC that both my stomach and taste buds can handle. By now the man operating the large skillets knows me by name and always greets me with a friendly smile and says, “will you be having the usual?” at which I respond with a smile and say, “of course.”
The stir-fry station is the perfect station for me since I am extremely picky about what I eat and since many foods tend to upset my stomach. Each night I march right up to the station and the man immediately knows what I want and the quantity of everything for the stir-fry. What I truly enjoy about this station and stir-fries in general is the ability to customize the dish to my liking rather than eat what is already prepared. I am given the ability to choose exactly which vegetables are added and I can monitor the amount of oil and sauce being added. My typical stir-fry at the DUC consists of: tofu, broccoli, red onions, squash (the days they have it), baby corn, and water chestnuts. I then ask if he can fry it up with no oil and no sauce in which he responds “like usual.” Once fried up for about a minute or so the man scoops the prepared stir-fry into my bowl and hands it to me, smiles, and says “see you tomorrow."
While still steaming and hot, I take my bowl of stir-fry and head towards the condiment station where I add a bit of soy sauce, drop sriracha (a type of thai hot sauce made of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar and salt), and a pinch of salt. Although the dish is rather simple it fulfills both my health needs and taste needs. I get my protein from the tofu and the nutrients and vitamins from the vegetables. Although it is not the most intricate meal, I would rather this option as opposed to anything else that the DUC offers. Having my go to station insures that each time I walk into the DUC I know that I will never be disappointed.
 At home I prepare stir-fries on a normal basis, experimenting with all sorts of unique vegetables, sauces, different proteins, and occasionally adding a carbohydrate to the mix. Despite the fact that the DUC does not offer me what I am accustomed to preparing for my self, the stir-fry station is as close as I am going to get. The dish is adequate and tastes as if someone just poured soy sauce on to mask the blandness of the plain vegetables and tofu (which it basically is) but it is always filling and edible which is what matters after a long day of school. After discovering the stir-fry station I now feel as if I am discovering my “food home” here at Emory.

1 comment:

  1. This is simple and lovely. I am happy you have found something, and I know that for a person from family with strong culinary traditions, the DUC can be a challenge. I have very much enjoyed your posts throughout the semester as you have explored your best meals from the DUC, home, and outside campus. Keep on searching for those gems.

    ReplyDelete